Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Sun & Cleaning Products

It's been awhile since I've done a "wiser" post...

I started noticing about 3 months ago that when I use harsh cleaning products, it really affects my skin. And I'm lazy, I rarely put on gloves to clean. Then I started thinking about how much we absorb through our skin. For example, my Master's degree is in the psychology field, and in abnormal psychology I've learned about seasonal depression which occurs during the time of year when we see the least amount of sun. Combine that with the fact that our bodies need Vitamin D and the most beneficial form of Vitamin D is in the form of good ole straight sunlight, absorbed directly into our skin.
One of my friend's brothers attempted suicide many months ago, and one of the things that the doctors found in their testing was that his body was dangerously low in Vitamin D. Could this deficiency contribute to feelings of depression or even suicide? I don't know, but it's interesting the obvious correlation. My husband has said many times that the winter months are really hard on him, in regulating his mood.

Anyway, sorry about the tangent, back to what we absorb through our skin:

So, really, how much of what we expose our bodies to is exposed through our skin? Obviously Vitamin D through the sun is, but what about cleaning products? Shampoo? Soap? Deodorant? If I think too hard about it, I get really stressed because I can't afford for everything in my house to be organic! But I've tried (like the dirty dozen in fruits and veggies) to think about the worst things in my home.

That same friend that I spoke of above moved a year and a half ago (sniff sniff), and I went over to help her clean her house. I fell in love with her cleaning products because they smelled SOOOO GOOOD and they didn't bother my skin at all! The brand name is Method, and when I find it on sale, I buy it, but if I coupon I can get some glass cleaner for .25! It's a constant battle: cheaper or better for you?
Well, I got an email from the Krazy Coupon Lady that talks about homemade house cleaning solutions. Check this recipe out!

1 cup vinegar
1 cup water
2 T lemon juice
1/2 t peppermint oil
1 t cornstarch
Mix and put in a spray bottle; use to clean surfaces and glass. 

Okay, doesn't that sound like it smells heavenly?

She also gives the following as inexpensive cleaners:
white vinegar-natural degreaser and disinfectant. Okay, I hate the smell of white vinegar. I've used it a few times, but rarely because I like my bathrooms to smell CLEAN, not smell like vinegar. But with the recipe above, I think it would smell clean! I love the fresh smell of peppermint and lemon! Anyway, if you like vinegar, mix 1 part vinegar and 1 part water. You can pour vinegar straight onto your stove and let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe it clean---grease is GONE! :)

Baking soda-this is for scrubbing! Make a paste with water and it cleans everything, including your oven!!! No more fumes that you are breathing in!

Canola oil-use a small amount with a drop of lemon juice to clean wood furniture. You can also put a drop of lavender oil in if you like!

Need to unclog those drains? Do the following: Pour 1/2 c baking soda down the drain followed by 1/2 c vinegar. Wait for it to bubble up, and then rinse it down with hot water.

Does anyone else have ideas for homemade cleaning solutions?

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Believe me.. I'm still sniffin... :( I can't wait to try those cleaning recipes. :) I use vinegar all the time, and baking soda.. I like the idea of lemon and peppermint :)