Thursday, August 25, 2011

Community resources & Fried Okra

I had the opportunity to go visit the Amish community on Monday. This is a resource that I've known about....but I haven't REALLY known about!  For $19 I got the following:
1 gallon fresh raw goat's milk
2 dozen freshly gathered eggs
4 lbs cucumbers
4 canteloupes
6 lbs tomatoes
2 lbs okra
3 lbs summer squash
2 HUMONGOUS butternut squashes (like, I'm not sure I have a pan big enough to cook them! But I'm super excited... I have a soup recipe coming up that is soooo delicious!)

 I think that's it, but it feels like I'm forgetting something. But seriously! That is some cheap food, and it was all freshly picked that morning before I got there! They had bushels of green beans for $15, concord grapes by the bucket, homecanned items, gobs and gobs of things! I made yogurt and kefir with the fresh milk, and the kids and I are still eating on the cucumbers. I froze most of the tomatoes for winter cooking, and made a healthier version of fried okra, and still have enough for 2 more batches! See below for the recipe.

I don't know that I'll go every week, as it's about a 40 minute drive...but I will definitely go 1-2 times/month. The quality of food plus the price makes it worth the effort, especially while I'm in between summer and fall planting for my garden. (It's soooo hot here that every time I try to plant fall crops, they wilt as soon as they break through the surface. So, I've started seeds inside and will transplant them as soon as the weather cools a bit.)

I know that there are resources that aren't well known in every community, you just have to look for it. Eating healthy does NOT have to cost an arm and a leg! What have you found in your community?

Fried Okra
Note-this is best done in a cast iron skillet...but I don't have one. It's on my wish list. :)

Okra, diced (discard the top of the okra)
popcorn
coconut oil
1-2 eggs

Put popcorn in your high powered blender and blend fresh corn meal. Crack the eggs and mix with the okra til it's pretty slimy. Mix in the cornmeal until everything is thoroughly covered. Warm coconut oil until warm enough for frying, but not smoking. Fry okra on both sides until crispy and slightly browned. You can serve with ketchup or eat plain. All of us love fried okra, but I admit, it may be an acquired southern taste. Have you ever had fried okra? What do you think? 

No comments: