Monday, January 9, 2012

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy

Happy New Year! I'm back!

I have some super fun recipes that will save you time and money! Who here uses canned tomatoes regularly??????? Anyone?

How about potatoes?

Yep, that's affirmative on both counts at our house! My dearest friend gave me a new cookbook for Christmas. It's a vegan crockpot cookbook, and I LOVE IT! There were a few short cuts in the book that I'm super excited about, having already tried them out!

First of all, I found tomatoes for super cheap last summer...like $6 for a bushel. I'd heard you could throw the tomatoes in your freezer whole, so I did that with as many tomatoes as I had room for, but this year will be different! Cheap, diced tomatoes! All you need is a crockpot, some freezer bags, and of course, TOMATOES! All you do is rinse your tomatoes, dice and fill up your crockpot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3 hours.

I have a crockpot with a timer, and it shuts off after the time is up, so I set it for 3 hours on high just before I go to bed. In the morning the tomatoes are cooked and cooled enough to put in bags. I freeze in 3 cup portions, equal to 2 cans of diced tomatoes. I promise you, your chili, sauces, soups taste so much better with locally home grown tomatoes then store bought!

Now, for potatoes! Scrub down your potatoes (regular or sweet potatoes) and place in crockpot (if you work, scrub the night before, place in your crockpot and turn on just before you leave for work). In 6-8 hours, low heat, you have absolutely perfect baked potatoes! Top regular potatoes with leftover chili, or have a baked potato bar. Sweet potatoes can be topped with butter, cinnamon and honey or agave nectar for a fun treat! Mmmmm!!!


No comments: