Monday, January 9, 2012

Crock Pot Spanish Quinoa

This recipe was originally inspired by my sister-in-law, Christian. She has a spanish rice recipe that is super yummy, and I thought that it might be fun to make with quinoa for a different consistency. I found this in my new cookbook, and knew I had found a new favorite recipe with a little bit of tweaking. My hubby raved about it multiple times that night and the next day. Soooo, here ya go!

Spanish Quinoa
2 T olive oil
1 white onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
3 c water
1 1/2 c quinoa, rinsed well
2 T vegetable broth powder
1/2 small can tomato paste
1 t salt
1/2 t chili powder
optional ingredients: 3/4 c black beans, 1 c frozen or fresh corn, 1/4 c fresh cilantro leaves, chopped

Heat oil in skillet and saute onion for 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and pepper and saute another 3-5 minutes.

Combine saueteed vegetables, water, quinoa, broth powder, tomato paste, salt and chili powder in crockpot. Stir until paste is mixed into the liquid. You can add optional black beans and corn. Cook on high for 1 1/2-2 hours until quinoa has unfurled. Garnish with optional cilantro.

*Note-I double this recipe because I love leftovers!

No comments: