Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Peach-Banana Smoothie

I've been MIA for a bit, and I don't have a ton to share, but here's a quick recipe and a quick question:


So, we just got our bulk foods order, 2 boxes of FABULOUSLY JUICY, drip-down-your-chin beautiful peaches. I've frozen about 6 huge ziploc bags of them for smoothies, but here's what we did with some of the fresh ones last night:

Pack your spinach or swiss chard into your blender jar with 1-1 1/2 cups of filtered water. Add 3-4 fresh peaches, cut into quarters. Fill it up the rest of the way with frozen bananas broken into quarters and blend for a deliciously sweet smoothie.

Sorry, no picture because it was gone within minutes. No kidding.

So, the quick question. Have you ever wanted to do something you've never done before, but been afraid to make the commitment? I have been doubly inspired this summer by wonderful people. I have never run long distances before because I had knee surgery 4 years ago. My surgeon said not to do any marathons or even half-marathons, so I've kind of been afraid to do ANYTHING!

Well, my kids enjoy running races from time to time--and with a supportive school to assist in training early in the morning before school starts, it's something they take a lot of pride in. One of the races that they ran is one that takes place the weekend before Halloween called the Grey Ghost. It's a 5K for adults and a 1K for kiddos. Well, I kinda sorta want to do it this year. Just to say that I did it. I'm in horrible shape right now. The pro would be I would have a commitment that would force me to get into better shape, set a great example for my kids and have some me-time to boot! The con? Fear that I'll give up. :(  My husband has said, "Ya know, even if you aren't able to run it all, you can totally walk it!" Yeah, he's right.

Can ANYONE out there relate? And have you overcome your fear? How did you do it?

5 comments:

bethanyp said...

That smoothie sounds so good! I did a 5k race this last week and I've had a knee surgery too! I used the "couch to 5k" training program online and I felt like it helped ease me into running. I just thought running sucked and it's still not my favorite exercise but it's getting better and easier. I'm liking it more and more. I never thought I'd be a runner/jogger, but I needed something new to get me out and motivate me. So I say sign up for that 5k in October and get ready. You'll be glad you did.

Jessie said...

For sure! I think what Bethany said, just ease into it. Every race I've ever trained for, I just started out walking for a few weeks to get my legs and body warmed up. I am a big fan of interval training. Basically when you are ready to start, jog slow for 4 minutes, then walk one, jog 4, then walk 1. Repeat the intervals for 20 minutes. As it feels good, increase your overall workout by a minute per day to reach a goal of a 30-35 minute workout. Once you reach that goal, increase the intervals to a 5 minutes jog, 1 minute walk. Then as it feels good.. eventually, 6 minutes jog, 1 minute walk.. etc. Keep going until eventually you feel ready and good to be able to run the whole thing without stopping. I do this every time I start to train for something.. I like my body and my joints! Also, don't feel like you have to kill yourself to get benefit from it. I think you get more benefit from going easy and enjoying it, and noticing small improvements, and reaching small goals every day. It makes it so much more fun too. I think easing into it helps to stick with it in the long run and not get injured or burned out. I also I find that also doing toning exercises (butt, legs, abs, even arms) really helps prevent injuries in running because they are supporting muscles and take some pressure off of the working muscles and joints. I have a great knee stretch too. Lay on your back, stick your legs in the air. And make circles with your feet.. go in, then go out. Sounds kind of weird, but ever since I started doing them, my knees have been fabulous. Long story short.. YOU CAN DO IT!! :) :) :) Now I wish you could teach me to sing.. :)

Jessie said...

Also.. you don't need to run every day. 3-4 days per week is good! Also, a magic trick I recently learned. Take Glutamine before and after workouts.. it's an amino acid and it really helps minimizes soreness afterwards, which also helps in the motivation of continuing to want to do it if your not terribly sore all the time!

Jessie said...

My favorite toning exercise right now is actually on the free streaming netfix. It's the 10 minute solutions Pilates & Rapid Results Pilates. I don't do the whole thing, just do the first 3 segments which targets your abs, thighs/buns, and arms for 10 minutes each. It's quick and I think they are perfect toning exercises to compliment running.

Jessie said...

Sorry.. last one! ha ha.. if you haven't be sure to get fitted for some running shoes at Fleet Feet or another running store. Makes a huge difference and can prevent injuries if you have the right shoes for your foot type I promise! Also get some good socks like Balgas that will prevent blisters and keep your feet cool :)