Sunday, March 3, 2013

Raw Apple Pie

 So, I've tried my hand at raw desserts before, and I have been pretty unsuccessful. However, my last 2 raw desserts have been completely wonderful! This particular pie is soooo easy, and so much faster then traditional apple pie. Give it a go, and let me know how you like it! I highly recommend making it the night before because the apples soften and it's more like traditional pie texture, but you certainly don't have to do that. It's still quite flavorful. 

Raw Apple Pie
2 c raw almonds
1 t sea salt
1 c pitted dates
With a food processor or a high-powered blender pulse the almonds and sea salt together until almonds are about the size of Grape-Nuts. Add dates and pulse until it forms a dough. I had to add some water until the "dough" would fit together when I squeezed a handful of it. But even if it's a little crumbly, that's fine, it still tastes fun with the crumbles. :) Press dough on bottom and sides of a deep dish pie pan to form the crust.

5 organic apples (We used Fuji, which was fine, but I bet honeycrisp would be delightful! If using honeycrisp, only do 2)
1 c dried fruit (I used 1/4 c goji berries and 3/4 c raisins, but do whatever strikes your fancy...or whatever you have on hand, in my case!)
2 T cinnamon
1 orange, peeled
1/2 c dates
water, as needed
Slice the apple very thin (or run through a food processor-I hate to use mine often cause it takes up so much space in the dishwasher). Toss apples, dried fruit and cinnamon in a large bowl until everything is coated well.
Add the orange and dates in high-powered blender, adding water if needed to make it the consistency of a smooth syrup. Pour over the fruit and mix well. Spoon filling into crust and serve immediately or cover and place in fridge until ready to serve. Stores well for a few days, and just gets softer and tastier. :)

No comments: