Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Smoothie Recipes

Here are a few new ones that I've come across.
To go with those nummy fresh strawberries (thanks, dear Faye for the yummy berries!):
1 pint fresh strawberries
3 medium bananas, frozen
2 big handfuls of spinach
water, as necessary, about a cup

Blend in your high power blender
If you have a high power blender, you can leave the tops on the strawberries, especially if they are organic. (Strawberries are some of the dirty dozen--lots of toxins in those bad boys!)

___________________________________________

2 frozen bananas
2 cups grapes
1 apple, cored and frozen in chunks
3 cups fresh spinach
some water

Blend in your high power blender, greens first, please!
This one is so yummy, the kids LOVE it!!

____________________________________________

1/2 cup-1 cup water
2 T chopped dates (rinsed and soaked for a few hours prior to making)
4 pears, cored (I would freeze 2-3 of these to ensure the nice cold smoothie consistency)
2 cups fresh spinach
2 ribs celery, chopped into big chunks
1/2 c frozen mango

Blend in your high power blender, greens first, please!

_____________________________________________

1 fresh mango
2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
lots of greens (I used half kale and half spinach)
2 pears, cored
2-3 frozen bananas

Blend in your high power blender.


****If you have a high power blender, it's best to blend the greens and water for a cycle, then add fresh fruit, followed by frozen. I usually don't measure except the water. Usually I stuff the blender jar full of green, then pour water up to the 8-12 oz line, then blend. Then I add fresh fruit, followed by frozen, and press the whole juice button.
I've heard that if you don't have a high power blender, that it's best to do fruit first followed by green, very slowly. Anyone have suggestions for if you don't have a high power blender?

4 comments:

bethanyp said...

In my little Oster, I do 2 cups of water with the greens first, then fresh fruits, then frozen. That seems to work well for me, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd take 'em. I've never tried grapes in a smoothie. Will do. Oh and celery does NOT blend well in my little Oster. It was the nastiest texture, ever. I couldn't have blended it long enough to get it smooth either. It just didn't work. Bummer.

Becky said...

You might try blending it with water, and then straining it through a cheesecloth so that it's a celery juice Then mixing the juice with the fresh/frozen fruit I think you will still have a lot of the benefits of celery without the weird texture. I'd only start out with 1 stalk, and work your way up to 3 or 4 over a few months (or weeks, even). It didn't take me long to get used to it!

Unknown said...

I want a peanut butter recipe. I've been searching the web for one because someone told me once upon a time, and I can't find it! Do you know of one?

Becky said...

Carrie, check out the Spreads category on the left. It's the only recipe there. :)