Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Celery Blueberry Smoothie

So.....I have sore toes today. Why, you ask? Well, let me tell you. I did Zumba yesterday, via the Wii. No, that's not why my toes are sore, keep reading. ;) Afterwards, I thought, huh...I'm NOT going to let these yummy endorphins go to waste. I'm going to mow the lawn! (My husband and I have a deal this summer: I mow if he weedeats...he is so busy that he can't keep up with it all anymore. But I HATE weedeating, so there ya have it). So, I decided to not do the self propeller thing on the mower for when I go uphill, and so I was pushing with my toes. Well, this morning, it felt like someone had dropped something heavy on my toes. :) My mom reminded me that muscle burns more calories, even if they are my toe muscles. :) Ha!

Okay, onward...my cleanse has been mainly a green smoothie cleanse. I no longer feel the need to use any form of sweetener for my smoothies. Zip. Yahoo! I've also found that using organic celery really helps to replenish my body after a workout (or working outside in the heat). I've slowly started introducing me (and the kiddos) to celery in our smoothies. I had 2 kiddos who had Field Day yesterday and they were dragging when they got home from school....til they have "the best smoothie ever" according to them...with 2 stalks of organic celery, organic spinach, pineapple, banana and frozen blueberries. They were good to go until dinner, and were so energetic!

Why organic celery? Well, celery is one of the "dirty dozen", in fact it is the top member of produce that carries toxins from field to store. Organic is best. I found organic on sale at our Super Target for $1.47 a bag! So, we are using a lot of celery this week.

Happy Slurping!

3 comments:

Jessie said...

Sorry a little belated, but I hope you had a great Mother's Day! That's so awesome that Ben was able to go help out those families that needed that help. I can't even imagine the devastation. Your recipes sound amazing! I'm going to have to try them. And heck yea.. even working toe muscles can burn calories! So I'm curious about your detox, is it a green smoothies only thing.. or are you eating other things too?

Becky said...

Jess, I will email you more info, but it's not green smoothies only. I have had to change around some of the menus because some of the recipes were pretty nasty. Anyway, it's 1 week of prep and 3 weeks of detox, and many of the recipes are 2 smoothies in a day and 1 veggie soup or salad of some sort. If you love tomatoes, you'll enjoy the veggie stuff. I hate raw tomatoes and avacados, and so I really struggled with that stuff. Anyway, I'll email you the recipes. I finished the prep week, and started the detox today. I'm still struggling with getting enough calories, I think, so I still desire stuff I shouldn't be eating...at least per this cleanse. So, I need to figure it out a little more. The most important thing she says is to relax, and just make sure I'm getting greens greens greens at every meal, and I am. I lost 4 pounds so far, but have kind of stuck there. I need to exercise daily and I know that will help.

bethanyp said...

Ha ha, toe muscles! Thanks for the celery info. I didn't know that.