Thursday, May 9, 2013

Super Nachos-Healthified

My husband has a favorite dinner that his mother made while he was growing up. Now, I love it too, but it's not very good for you, so I combined a recipe from Simple Healthy Tasty and some of our favorite tastes, and came up with the following:

-Refried Beans (my guess is 1 large can, but I make my own. I use about 3 cups. See here)
-1 recipe of Cheezy sauce 
-1 recipe Sunflower Seed cream (mixed with 1-2 T taco seasoning)
-1 1/2-2 c frozen corn (rinse to thaw)
-1 pepper, diced (I use sweet bell peppers)
-chopped cilantro
-1 recipe of Guacamole (see below)
-1-2 c salsa or pico
-GMO tortilla chips (we just quarter corn tortillas and toast in oven)

optional ingredients: olives, other raw veggies-chopped, black beans

Spread beans and cheezy sauce and broil until cheezy sauce starts to brown. Layer everything else and serve with chips. Yum!

Guacamole
2-3 avocados
2 T lime juice
1/2 t sea salt (to taste)
optional-chopped cilantro
mash with fork or blend in blender

We like to eat this on a hot day, following a cup of ice cold green smoothie!


1 comment:

bethanyp said...

LOVE your take on this. I like all the substitutions. This is one of my favorite dishes growing up too. Thanks for the recipe!