Thursday, May 26, 2011

Gardening

I promised some gardening pictures. This one is of the herbs on my patio: mint, parsley, cilantro and dill. I already use them a LOT! I love putting parsley, cilantro and dill in my salad dressings and in any salads that I make. The dill especially adds a nice flavor. We have basil and rosemary in our squares, and sage that came back from last year.
 Here is one of our squares. We have green beans, cantaloupe, cabbage, garlic, swiss chard and cucumbers in this square. We have 4 squares total. Everything is growing beautifully! I will be adding a whole square of strawberries for next years garden, and I want to do asparagus too, but am not quite sure yet how to do it.
 Here are some of my beets. Aren't they beautiful? Beet greens are soooo good in green smoothies, and beets are amazing blood cleaners! They are also good at keeping cancer, wrinkles, and fatigue at bay! You can take raw beets, peel them and cut them into chunks. Throw them in your freezer, and throw a frozen chunk into your smoothie for beautiful color! We are so excited to grow beets this year!
What are you growing in your garden?

1 comment:

bethanyp said...

It's been too wet and cold here. We still have a bunch of snow on our mountains! But I think we've got to get started soon. I am super impressed with your garden squares. I personally think square foot gardening is the way to go. You've gotta be so proud of your beautiful, growing, edible plants!!!