Sunday, July 31, 2011

Green Beans & Potatoes

Okay, before we jump to the recipe, let's talk about garlic. What? Garlic? Yep. I totally love the stuff. Love the smell, love the taste, but I certainly didn't know that I'd love what it does for my body! A while ago, my friend would eat whole cloves, tucked into a dollop of mashed potatoes to get it down. It has many curing properties on anything from the common cold to plague-illnesses. Here are some other things it does:
-helps with acne
-a natural antibiotic
-cleans your blood
-people who live in high-garlic-using cultures have a much lower incidences of cardiovascular disease
-garlic contains allicin which increases antioxidant enzymes
-garlic is anti-bacterial-awesome during cold & flu season!
-it adds so much flavor to cooking, which is my favorite part. :)

Garlic is best when raw, fresh and crushed prior to chopping or mincing. I just take the long part of my knife blade and press a clove firmly into the cutting board until I hear the clove crush. Mmmmmm!

My little guy has recently started crawling and he found our potatoes. Thankfully, he just gummed them to death. :)
 
Okay, folks, for those of you who have not tried organic potatoes, you are missing out! The flavor is awesome. But potatoes are the best when they are home grown, or bought from local farmers, as these are. Unfortunately, nothing will ever taste as good to me as my husband's (and mine!) Grandpa Don's potatoes, but these are definitely a close second. This is one of our favorites during the summer:

Green Beans & New Potatoes

3-4 pounds of fresh green beans, rinsed & snapped
2-3 pounds of fresh new potatoes, scrubbed
6-8 cloves of garlic, crushed and minced
1-2 onions, quartered

Place potatoes, onion, garlic and then green beans in a large pot. Cover with water and boil for 20-25 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Season with sea salt and fresh pepper. We have also added fresh rosemary, and it is delicious! Serve AFTER your large salad. We also put a pat of organic butter on the potatoes....mmmmm!

No comments: