Sunday, November 6, 2011

Carrabba's Minestrone

Several months ago, we took our daughter to Carrabba's to celebrate the reaching of her summer reading goal. While there, I had a bowl of their minestrone, which I love sooooo much! While there, I wrote down all the ingredients so that when it got cold, I could try to recreate it. Well, I did this last night, and it was positively PERFECT on a cold night! Of course, I don't know if I really replicated it, I just know whatever it was that I made was DELICIOUS! I didn't do a lot of measuring, so everything that has a * next to it, the measurement is a guesstimate. :)

This made a HUMONGOUS batch! Enough to feed 5 adults, 6 children and a large tupperware of leftovers....and I forgot to take a picture, dang it!

Take 1 1/2 c of dry garbanzo beans and *1/2 c white beans let them soak overnight. Rinse well, and put in a humongous stock pot, filled halfway with water. Sprinkle *4 HEAPING tablespoons of vegetable broth powder in it and bring to a boil, let it boil for an hour, then add the following ingredients:

10 large carrots, cut into quarters, and then in big chunks
4 ribs celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 head of green cabbage, chopped
8-10 small red potatoes, diced
1 can kidney beans, rinsed well!
2 zuchinni (cut into quarters, and then cut in chunks)
*1 heaping T Italian seasoning
*2 heaping T parsley
*4 t sea salt, may need to taste the broth after it's simmered for a bit and see if you need to add more!
*1 t pepper
*1/2 t ground turmeric
*1/2 t fennel seed
*2 t arrowroot powder (to thicken the broth)
opt. 1 T thyme, 1 t basil

Simmer for 30 more minutes, or until the potatoes and cabbage are tender.
During the last 15 minutes of simmering, add 2 cans of drained cut green beans and 10 cloves of crushed garlic, minced. Stir well and serve! The vegetables should retain their form, so if you strain the broth, it's perfect for a child who doesn't eat with utensils yet (which we have found is a difficulty during soup/chili season!)

***Beware-your kitchen will smell heavenly and your family will slurp it up and ask for more, so make sure you have plenty! :)

No comments: