Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Spruced Up Green Salad

Our family has our salad at the beginning of the meal, as the main course. The "dinner" that follows is served in smaller portions because we have just filled ourselves up with all sorts of nummy green food! ***see below for more information on this***

Well, last night, I commented that we really needed a new spin on our salads. I mean, even though I make a different dressing most nights, it's the same salad every night. So, we all started brainstorming, deciding that adding a fruit and a nut, along with some raisins would make things more interesting.
I chose to add apples and walnuts to today's salad, but I could have easily done strawberries, blueberries, pears, mandarin oranges, mango, almonds, pecans, macadamias, etc. Get creative!!! :)


So, here's what we did:
2 cups fresh organic spinach
1 head of Bibb lettuce
2 organic apples, diced
(I was out of raisins, dang it!)
1 handful of raw walnuts, chopped

Mix together and add the following dressing:

1/2 cup raw honey
1/2 c raw apple cider vinegar
1 c olive oil
1 T mustard
1 t sea salt
1/2 c onion
1/2 c alfalfa and red clover sprouts
Blend all together in your high powered blender and then add 1 T poppy seeds. This makes a LOT of dressing, so add and mix, and add more if needed.

The result: 2 of the 4 kids had seconds, and the other 2 ate and said it was really good. And it was! Soooo GOOD!

***Enzymes. Green plant food provides enzymes. What are enzymes? Enzymes is what our bodies NEED to break down our food and get the nutrients from it, sending the rest out of the body. Enzymes are critical for DIGESTION! Our bodies have a limited capacity to produce these critical elements, and anything we can do to help our body digest will allow it to focus more on cleaning and healing and protecting itself, since most of our energy is used for digestion. If we eat a nice big salad, as well as green smoothies every day, preferably prior to eating anything cooked, our body will thank us later for the help in digestion.
Short term effects of our body pulling enzymes from ourselves: indigestion, heartburn, constipation, gas, bloating
Long term effects: all degenerative diseases, resulting from burnout of our organs.
Now, I kinda like my organs, and I especially like them healthy, so anything I can do to not tax them-I'm gonna do it! Including having a salad prior to my dinner, and any other time during the day that I need some good ole enzymes.

p.s. the only other food out there that is higher then greens in enzyme content is sprouted seeds, nuts and grains. Our family has started sprouting, and I sneak them into EVERYTHING! The kids don't even notice it in salad dressings, wraps, smoothies, etc. Bahahaha!

No comments: